Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Check for BETA Updates Preference (Read 26185 times)
Doug in Alaska
Re: Check for BETA Updates Preference
Reply #26 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Sorry about the typo.  No, I haven't looked at BookMacster on another Mac up here.  I don't know many people up here who run Macs, other than my son.  I may try to talk him into giving it a try.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #25 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Doug in Alaska wrote on Feb 12th, 2011 at 3:28am:
I'm now on v1.3.8.1.
I presume that was a typo; you meant 1.3.18.  I still have no idea what the problem is.  Have you ever looked at BookMacster on another Mac up there in Alaska?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #24 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Update for you Jerry.  I'm now on v1.3.8.1 and still no "update" tool in preferences.

Thanks,
Doug

IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #23 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Ok, thanks Jerry.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #22 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Doug.  I get up and think about this problem every day, for at least 30 seconds.  It is the most perplexing mystery I can remember this year.  I've been hoping it will just go away.  Some day soon, I'll think of another way to attack it.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #21 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
I've upgraded to v1.2.6 and nothing has changed.

IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #20 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 4:26am
Print Post  
/Users/dwright/Desktop/BookMacster_Trouble.zip

BookMacster_Trouble_002.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #19 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Jerry,

I've tried to attach screenshots in the past and have had no luck so hopefully this will work.

Thanks,
Doug

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #18 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 3:22am
Print Post  
Doug in Alaska wrote on Oct 6th, 2010 at 3:07am:
Hi Jerry, thanks for looking into this further.
Thanks for your patience.  This is like so unbelieveable.  Please take and post a screenshot of that Preferences window.  Maybe it will have some clues.

To take a screenshot on a Macintosh, hold down the ⌘ and 'shift' keys and then type the '4' key.  Place the mouse at the top left corner of the area you wish to "shoot", then click down, and while holding the button down, drag over to the bottom right corner and let go of the button.  A "Picture" file will appear on your desktop.

Oh, and as long as you're in BookMacster, click in the menu Help ▸ Trouble Zipper.  It will ask you several questions about including Bookmarks, Caches, Diaries, Bookmarkshelves.  Just answer no to all those.  I just want to see if your Console log or system configuration tells me anything interesting.

Now, this forum won't allow you to paste in pictures, but you can attach it as a file, so at least forum staff (me in particular) will be able to see it.  Click the "Reply" button, and then at the bottom click the "Choose File" button, and navigate to the "Picture" file it left on your desktop.  Also, since the forum won't allow you to attach more than one file, you'll need to either reply again, or email the Trouble Zipper output to me.

Thanks.

One of these years, when all the apps are working great, I'll modify this forum to remove its silly limitations.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #17 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry, thanks for looking into this further.

When I opened BookMacster this evening I was notified of an upgrade.  I upgraded to v1.1.24

1.  Yes, I see the diagram but it is showing only Safari and Firefox.  I don't use Chrome, Delicious, or Opera.
2.  Yes, the last tab is Diaries.
3.  Yes
4.  About BookMacster: v1.1.24

Under Preferences: General
I still see only General, Adding, Sorting, Appearance

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #16 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Sorry it's taking me longer and longer to think of new ways to attack this mystery.  I wonder if any other parts of the app are not updated for you…

1.  When you click the SettingsClients tab, do you see the new popup menu and Import/Export diagram like this…
or do you still see the old design with two tables, Import and Export?

2.  When you click the Reports tab, is the last subtab called Diaries, as in the new design…
or do you still see the old "Logs"?

3.  When you click the BookMacster item in the main menu, do you see near the bottom the items
  • Active Agents…
  • Logs…
  • Force Quit Agents' Workers…
in that order?

4.  And now, just one more time, when you click in that menu About BookMacster, in the window that appears in the center of your screen, what version number is indicated under the icon?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #15 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Jerry,

I did as instructed and only had one copy of the BookMacster application.  I deleted it and I'm now running version 1.1.21 but nothing has changed.  Still no 'Updates' button.

Thanks

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #14 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Doug in Alaska wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:56pm:
Ok, I'll give a try tonight when I get home.  Am I understanding this correctly?  Delete all BookMacster files including preferences and start over with the newest version?  What should I do about Bookdog?  It is still installed.
No, you don't need to delete any preferences, .bkmslf documents, or Bookdog.  Just search for and find your BookMacster Application, or Applications … I suspect and dearly hope that you have more than one copy of the BookMacster Application which is causing confusion.  Normally, the Application will be in your /Applications folder, but there could be others.  You see here I have five, none of which are in /Applications.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Ok, I'll give a try tonight when I get home.  Am I understanding this correctly?  Delete all BookMacster files including preferences and start over with the newest version?  What should I do about Bookdog?  It is still installed.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Doug, my sleeping on it says that the first solution is to kind of hope that this problem goes away…

• Click the Spotlight icon in the upper-right corner of your screen.
• Search for any BookMacster apps.
• Trash them.
• I want to say "and do a Secure Empty Trash with 35x military-grade overwrite to make sure that there's no way any of those damn thing(s) can even think of showing you their old Preferences ever again".  But I'll leave that step to you.  Do whatever you feel is necessary.
• Download today's new BookMacster (1.1.21) from here:
       http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/beta/BookMacster.zip

I'm getting ready to eat my mouse if it still doesn't work.  Well, actually I use a trackball.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint